Wednesday 22 October 2014

Questionnaire Results


The dominating gender is female, twice as many females, 66%, completed this compared to 33% being male. This will influence the type of music video I produce, as I had thought about doing a romantic video and the fact that the majority of the audience are females it would make sense to do a more romantic video as it would typically appeal to the majority of the audience.



The majority of my audience are 14-24 year olds, representing teenagers and young adults, which ties in with the question ' Do you like to see people from your age range in a music video? ' as the majority of answers we from young people and 67% of the answers said they wanted to see someone from there age range, the only participant who was between the ages of 35-44 said 'yes' but even with that answer detracted there will still be 7 people aged between 14-24 who , concluding that most people of that age want to see someone their own age in a music video. This will work with my idea of showing romance throughout the video and I can use a young couple to portray this.

The two most popular genres are 'Indie' and 'Pop', but the whole answers were varied, showing how the audience how a wide taste in music. I will produce a music video to an indie song as I believe that will fit best with the idea of a romantic story line, though the song does have some pop elements in and the artist has produced pop songs in the past, therefore more of the audience will probably be aware of him, thus they are more likely to watch.  To co-inside with the indie genre of music I will also use natural locations, one being in a forest, so it connects more with the song and it will probably be more appealing to the desired audience.

Nobody chose live footage, which co-insides with the theme of romance and an indie style, because I did not want to focus on a live concert but instead wanted a story running through, which was the second most requested feature with 50% of the participants choosing this. As 'The artist' was the most requested element to be on the video I will insert clips of the artist singing on their own as well as the artist playing the male love interest in the story. I don't want to over complicate the video and by analysing the results from my questionnaire 33% of people stated they wanted a simple idea, so I came to the conclusion that to both fit with the genre and the audience I will create a simple story of love, as to not over power the song. 


I will use multiple locations, as nobody who participated in the questionnaire said they were interested in the music video just being shot in one location, and from researching music videos there are rarely any videos with just one setting. I also feel as if the video will be more interesting if it is shot in multiple locations, and my audience will be more appealed to it. I am thinking about using the woods as a setting, as well as a bed because that connotes romance and a gathering on bonfire night.


I did receive mixed responses from this question, but the majority said slow paced editing by 6 votes to 5 which also reflects the editing that both a romantic video and a music video from the indie genre would need. Some reasons were because you 'can focus more on the music' and it's 'easier to watch/understand'. 




I also asked this question last as a more open question just to see what my audience were interested in, the responses I got were very varied (this reiterates the question about favourite music genres). However I researched some of the responses and there was no just one location used. In Demons by Imagine Dragons they also slowed down some of the shots to create more of an impact, I really liked this idea as it also fit in with my chosen genre of music as this video was indie. 5 Second's of Summer's video Amnesia, despite it being from a pop genre, still used features that were transferable to an indie music video- there is a point where one of the artists is in a room on his own, the next shot is then of him with his friends in that same room laughing, almost like a flashback, which stirs emotion within the audience; which will go with my song as it talks about a relationship with both a sad and hopeful tone.



No comments:

Post a Comment