Friday 14 November 2014

Research 

From creating and sending out a questionnaire, it helped me collect information from my audience about what they wanted in a music video, so it helped me when deciding what to put in mine. Questions such as “Do you like to see people from your age range in a music video?” and “What is your age?” are useful because it gives me an idea of who I should put in my music video, most people were between the ages of 14-24 and said yes, hence I will have people from that age range star In my music video. Also from researching other indie-pop artist’s they usually have themselves or others tar in their video who are around the age of 18-25, therefore it fits with my genre and what the audience want.

Textually analysing other artist’s music videos also gave me ideas of shots, as well as editing and lighting. I didn’t just analyse music videos that I wanted to use as inspiration, but by analysing a music video with a faster beat to get a wider knowledge. By watching and analysing Ed Sheeran’s music video for ‘Thinking out loud’, it has given me a better sense of onscreen love and shown me ways of showing this, for example eye contact is a very important aspect. From analysing Taylor Swift’s music video ‘Begin Again’ and looking into some of her others I really like the idea of the two shot to highlight the romance between two people, especially as you have one person’s shoulders and the other person’s face so the scene appears more realistic. I also like the idea of having shots, not only of the artist singing, but also of them in the same spot but looking away as this adds a more interesting dimension to the video as well as giving a more thoughtful edge to it. Also, from textually analysing music videos I have realised how important setting and locations are in a music video, especially in George Ezra’s music video where he uses pathetic fallacy to convey his mood, I have taken inspiration from this and decided that when there are happier moments within the song I shall use high-key lighting but as the song becomes sadder and when the boy is left along the lighting shall become dimmer to reflect his mood.

From researching both the audience’s desires, and what previous media producers have created, it has helped me arrive at the conclusion that I want to aim my music video mainly towards teenagers and young adults; as well as have a main love story running throughout. My target audience is such because the majority of people who watch music videos are from this age range, also my idea will appeal mostly to this audience. The love story will be between a teenage boy and girl, but from the boy’s perspective as he is the one singing the song, which shall be ‘Beautiful Tragedy’ by Mike Dignam.


(493 Words)

No comments:

Post a Comment